Suddenly You’re Working From Home!?
Our Top 10 Tips to Support Your Success
Working from home presents a number of opportunities and challenges for employees. If, like many, you’ve recently been launched into a remote work arrangement due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve prepared a list of practical tips to help support your productivity and joy:
- Try to mimic your daily office schedule as much as possible by setting up a designated space for working at home, separate from where you normally relax.
- Seek ideas for organizing your day from colleagues and managers. Although you are working alone, you don’t need to handle challenges on your own.
- If you are struggling with an abrupt transition to remote work, try focusing on the benefits. How much commute time are you saving? What about gas, transit, or parking costs?
- Structure your daily schedule to accommodate communication with colleagues. Regular check-in calls can prevent miscommunication.
- If you are used to working in different spaces throughout the day and feel “stuck” at home, take regular breaks or make small, daily changes to your work environment.
- Take the time to get fresh air and exercise; use your breaks wisely to focus on being well.
- Embrace instant messaging for informal conversations with your colleagues. Without a “water cooler” space to chat, finding other ways to maintain conversation can prevent feelings of isolation when working remotely.
- If you feel like you lack guidance when working from home, initiating regular check-ins with your manager can provide more structure.
- When faced with challenges, resist expressing your frustration over e-mail. Picking up the phone to talk through an issue can be more effective.
- Use humor to cope; laughing and sharing jokes and memes is more important than ever!
Adjusting to work in a remote work environment can be challenging, but support is available to help employees thrive in a distributed setting. For more information about how to work best in a flexible or remote way, contact us today!
Work EvOHlution has been a world leader in remote work success since our launch in 2014. We are a Calgary-based team of Organizational Psychologists committed to enhancing engagement and performance in distributed workplaces. We offer innovative assessment tools for leaders, teams, and employees based on research conducted since 2003, as well as consulting, coaching, and training solutions. Work EvOHlution specializes in supporting organizations both locally and internationally.
1-587-354-3444 | firstname.lastname@example.org